Posts for tag: Toenail Fungus
Ugh, some of your toenails are turning yellow. You know this problem well, as you had it once as a teenager when you played tennis several times a week on hot summer days. Don't worry. Your podiatrists, Dr. Cherrie and Todd Cindric at Westmoreland Foot & Ankle Care in Greensburg, PA, recognize this podiatric issue as onychomycosis, or toenail fungus. They can help clear your nails for good.
How onychomycosis happens
Toenail fungus proliferates easily, enjoying the darkness and moisture of socks and shoes. Sometimes painful, fungal nails are frequently:
- Yellow to brown
- Streaked with white lines
- Thick, ragged and hard to cut
The infection may start with one nail, such as the big toenail, and then surely and swiftly spread to other toenails and even the fingernails. A non-respecter of persons or age, onychomycosis affects millions.
Your Greensburg, PA, podiatrist can help
Because toenail fungus is tenacious and long-lasting, you need help in eliminating it and having clear, normal nails once again. Dr. Cherrie Cindric and Dr. Todd Cindric know this problem all too well, and when they see it, they often prescribe anti-fungal cream to be applied directly to the affected areas or oral anti-fungal medications. Other interventions include total or partial nail removal.
Any treatment plan includes instructions in how to keep toenail fungus from growing in the first place. Dr. Cindric says these practical routines help:
- Washing your feet daily with soapy water and drying them completely.
- Trimming your toenails carefully, straight across the nail, with a disinfected nail clipper (use isopropyl alcohol to clean your pedicure tools).
- Change your socks daily, or more often in the warm weather or after workouts.
- Wear shoes and sneakers with plenty of room in the toes because friction against the toenails encourages fungal growth.
- Apply anti-fungal medication before going to bed.
- Do not walk barefoot outdoors, poolside, in the locker room or public showers. Wear flip flops or shower sandals.
- Alternate your shoes, and allow them to dry before wearing them again.
Happy, healthy feet
Yours can look good and feel great--your toenails, too. Find out how through an individualized consultation at Westmoreland Foot & Ankle Care. Call your podiatrist at one of our conveniently located offices. For Irwin, phone (724) 863-0996. For Greensburg, PA, call (724) 832-1000.